The District Court of Western Australia commenced operating in its new purpose-built court house at 500 Hay Street, Perth on 3 June 2008.
The District Court building met the then urgent need for more jury and video courts and better facilities for all court users, court staff, and the judiciary.
Three years in construction, the building offers the following features:
- 24 courtrooms including 20 jury courts;
- Five hearings rooms and 18 mediation conferencing rooms;
- Separate circulation systems for jurors, persons in custody, child and vulnerable witnesses, and the judiciary;
- Videoconferencing facilities, closed-circuit television and screen displays;
- A high-security courtroom suite;
- An on-site café and other refreshment facilities;
- Airport-style security screening;
- A secure high-tech detention facility;
- Digital audio recording system; and
- An open-air terrace garden.